My big fat February

February 2020 is a big month for me, because it will mark my 60th birthday.

I am astonished that this date has arrived -- or will arrive in a mere few days. It seems that, suddenly  it's here. I’ve been anticipating it for a while and now it’s here. Wow, and also, oh dear, as I haven't followed through on the commitment I made to myself last April: "For my 60th birthday, I would like a professional headshot and a proper website from which to run my blog." Rats! I'll just have to carry this one forward to next year. (I think that's what grown-ups can do when a plan doesn't get executed on time, right?)

That one non-achievement not withstanding, I haven't been sitting still. Deborah and I ran our "Writing as a Tool for Transformation" workshop last fall, and we hope to run it again in March if enough people register. In addition, we're planning a Part Two for this coming fall, to take the work further and deeper for those who want. 

And I've been continuing to practice the advice of Jane Friedman, author of The Business of Being a Writer, who says that every post we put up on social media (Facebook, Twitter, any blog we comment on, etc.) should be viewed as a "micro-publishing opportunity". Who knows who will read it and what might come of it?

Well, dear reader, something has come of it for me: I am going to be a guest writer on a blog that I have been following and commenting on for several years. This opportunity arose out of one particular comment I shared on a post in early January. I won't say more about this right now, but I will say that I am WILDLY EXCITED about this! I'll give details closer to the posting date. 

Closing thoughts: Writing practice comes in all shapes and sizes. Readers can be found on every platform. Persistence sharpens skill. And discipline nurtures momentum. I’ll create my own website… I think I can. I think I can. I know I will. 

The collage I made last summer, as I was contemplating turning 60 this year. 


Comments

  1. I love this collage as an extension of your good news and good attitude towards aging. Climb that staircase to the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most excellent! And I can say I knew you — virtually — when.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother