Anniversary post: This year marks 31 together

Amanda and Val: many years ago and today. Man, look how young we were. Sheesh.
Thirty-one years and counting certainly shows. But who in their right mind would care about wrinkles or grey hair
when it is a good and generous love that has propelled us through the years together. 


Every good story is told through both summary and scenes.

Val & Amanda’s story: The summary

A generous love that has withstood the challenges of two bouts of cancer and multiple joint replacements, of job changes and career disappointments, of cats found and cats lost, of parents living and parents dying. Two women, together, building a good life.

Amanda: Three scenes

April 1997: Val and I are driving from Winnipeg down through the Dakotas and Wyoming and Utah to Arizona, camping in a tent along the way and marvelling at what we can do together, still, after Val’s cancer diagnosis earlier that year. At a roadside cafe somewhere in Utah, a woman asks me if we are sisters. Without skipping a beat, I reply that we are sisters of the heart. Ah, said the woman. Whether or not she got it, I don’t know. But I do know that back in the latter years of the previous century, in Utah, that’s as far as I was willing to go. A strong memory.

Me, driving through a snowstorm on New Years Eve 1999, determined to get to our cottage, which we had bought that summer. Val was already there, having stayed after Christmas, but I had had to return to the city for work. Y2K was coming and it was all hands on deck at my employer’s. Fine, but I was definitely returning to the cottage for New Years Eve fun with our friends — food, drink, a bonfire and fireworks. It was cold. The snow was coming down. But I got into the car and got driving. And just kept going. I was determined. And I knew Val was waiting for me. I thought about what I could do — and was doing — not what might happen or what I might otherwise be doing. I was focused and I arrived safely. We all had a great time celebrating the new year in the great out of doors that was so cold the champagne got slushy. A very good memory.

In the early days of refurbishing the front yard at our city home, I wanted to have a retaining wall to contain the main flowerbed. Val said I was well able to do that myself. Really? Yes, really. So I got to work, scoping out the location and building up the soil. Val had the brilliant idea to lay out the shape of the wall using the hose to show the line along which to dig. She laid out the hose, I dug. Go deeper, she said. The foundation has to be deep enough to hold the bricks solid. I didn’t really want to go deeper, by then I was tired. But I knew she was right, so I went deeper and then built up the wall that stands to this day. True, it needed some structural rehab last fall, but the core of what I built years ago still holds up today. That day of the original build is a most satisfying memory.

Val & Amanda: 31 years in summation

When a relationship starts with the idea that this other person might just be the one for you, the opportunity exists for the laying of a foundation that will support whatever the future might bring (including necessary refurbishments along the way). So it has been for me with Val. Driving through snow storms, camping in tents, and digging deep in the garden are no longer my priorities or my preferences. But I continue to choose Val for the boundless possibilities that her love of me and mine of her create for both of us in our life today. We are lucky, indeed.

***

We legally married on August 31, 2013; the year of Val's cancer recurrence. Since then, we mark that day as our anniversary, even though it really all began on the Thanksgiving weekend in 1993. But that is another story altogether... 

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comSimply put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.

Photo credits: Left-hand photo - likely by our friend Randa; right-hand photo - taken on a recent visit by our friend Regan. Thank you, both. 

Comments

  1. From the first I was interested in how our lives were so like yours. Same time frame, give or take a few years, same age difference that people said would never work, wasn’t practical.

    You’ve nailed it in re foundations. Although neither of us are handy with a shovel and a pile of bricks, we too have laid a foundation that has held us up.

    Happy anniversary my dears. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful it is to find your ideal life partner. Lasting love is rare these days. Happy Anniversary to you both! ❤ ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings to you both, Amanda! What a loving testimony to your respect and caring for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How miraculous when you find the right person for you, congratulations and lots of love to both of you. I have found being alone is much superior to being with the wrong one, that is my definition of loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy anniversary to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to your long relationship, Amanda. With eight billion people on the planet, it seems nearly impossible to find our perfect person, so when that happens, it's a true miracle and blessing. May you have many more happy and healthy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have found your life's partner. The photos of your younger selves next the more seasoned version are delightful. I always enjoy your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary Amanda and Val !
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. This month is 31 years for my wife and I, since we met at university in Toronto, and 29 since we tied the knot. A lot of life challenges since then, mostly involving health issues (autism, eating disorder and cancer) for our two kids. It hasn't been easy but we've stood by each other and we've been each other's rock through it all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Listening for the piano / Thinking about grief

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother