Hearing my words spoken (and sung!) had me grinning like the Cheshire Cat
Hearing my words spoken by a stranger was an unexpected delight. When she burst into song — well, that took the experience to the next level for me.
It all began about a year ago when I read a piece of my writing on a local early-morning CBC radio show. Morris Bay, self-declared Poet Laureate for Seniors and founder of Company of Poets, heard me, contacted me, and subsequently invited me to read that piece at a local event he puts on monthly at various seniors residences. I went, enjoyed reading to a new and appreciative audience, and have stayed in touch with Morris.
About a month ago, he emailed me. He and his poet-friend James were putting together an anthology of poems by those who had read at one of his events in the past year or so. Was I interested in submitting something? My knee jerk response was, Ha, too bad I don’t write poetry. But my more considered response was, Hang on a minute. Of course, I do. Some of my writings include poetic compositions and, sometimes, I quite deliberately write a prose poem rather than an essay.
[Why is my first response so often No, followed by a more considered and enthusiastic Yes? I am not sure, but I do know I am grateful that I get to Yes after a moment or two of thinking and of wondering, What might it be like to do this? Let’s see if I can.]
I dug through my files and landed on a piece I had written originally as an essay that, at the suggestion of the editor who rejected it, I had transformed into a prose poem. “Waiting — this, too, is writing” would be perfect for the anthology, I decided. I polished the piece, wrote a brief introduction, and sent it in. It was accepted, enthusiastically, and that was that, I thought. I’ll just wait for the anthology to be released.
But no. Shortly, I received an email from James asking if I would be interested in having my poem set to music. What? I thought. Music? My words? And this time, I skipped the No stage and went directly to saying Yes. Why not, I thought. Let’s see what this becomes!
Later that same day, James sent me a link to the Company of Poets’ YouTube channel (these senior poets are hip to technology, that’s for sure) where he had posted the piece. I hit play, and Val (my partner) and I watched with growing delight: my words set to music — and visuals, too! Unexpected. Delightful. The voice a bit breathy, maybe, but, in the Company of Poets' world, perfection is never the enemy of good, so the voice stands, as do the visuals (I have certainly never been so cute).
I still grin like the Cheshire Cat whenever I listen to my words set to music (and song) this way, and I am glad anew for my growing ability to say Yes, to see what happens. It can be so very rewarding.
Watch the video here.
Note: This is not magic, of course; it is James's skillful and creative use of AI. I am aware of the energy-use and carbon footprint issues of this technology.
............................................................................................................................................
To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot com. Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.
Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.

Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.