Grow tomatoes, don't be a world-class jerk
![]() |
| Our tomatoes, last week |
How to grow a tomato
Plan in winter
Plant in spring
Tend in summer
Eat in autumn
Of course, it doesn’t actually ever go like that,
it goes more like this:
How not to be a world-class jerk
It’s simple:
Don’t be mean; it’s nasty.
Don’t tell us who to trade with; that’s our decision, always.
Don’t call our official languages a trade barrier; it shows your ignorance of our history and your disdain for our culture.
Beware…
the seeds you plant today —
we’ll weed the worst;
we’ll snip the shoots; but
we’ll train the stems we choose — those that tie us close
We are Canada:
together across the seasons.
for next year and the next and on into the future,
the world-class jerk choking on our poussière.
............................................................................................................................................
To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot com. Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.
Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.

I am so ashamed, heartbroken, and thoroughly pissed at the Orange bastard.
ReplyDeleteMaybe next year.
For tomatoes, too
We have been lucky. Our tomatoes have been ripening for about a month now. Even tariffs and grotesque politicians cannot take my tomatoes away. :)
ReplyDeleteThere was so much rain earlier this year, with the sun finally shining into my garden, my annuals are now doing beautifully. The vines and ferns have exploded with growth. I love your ode to rump, although we know it's an impossible goal for him.
ReplyDeleteMy tomatoes are flourishing and rosy, not orange and rotting like trump
ReplyDeleteAll I can offer is sincere apologies; the mentally ill should not be running the country. And here we in the lower 48 are. As far as tomatoes. I can offer a box load of recipes for green tomatoes. Peace -- love will prevail.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how the vine tomato is causing us to be so creative this week! Smart use of words. I wish you and your crop well. I gave up growing, or trying to grow my own some time ago. Thank goodness I can handle them on the kitchen side of things. Thank you Amanda!
ReplyDeleteI don’t grow tomatoes anymore but I am proud to be a French Canadian and I want to remain so.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post.