Launching myself as a book out into the world...10 things I know
I know it's a book I'll be releasing on Saturday, October 3rd, but it feels like I am launching my very self out into the world. I am beyond excited and (remind me I'm saying this) ready for whatever happens...
My handbook, How to be a Writer in Four Steps, is the longest-running creative project I have ever undertaken. What started as a short-form piece in a writing group way back in March 2023 took root in my mind and has grown into a fully fledged book. How did this happen?
- I believed in my original idea.
- I took a chance on myself by getting started.
- I experimented beyond my comfort zone, writing in a longer, much longer form, than I usually do.
- I showed my work to other writers.
- I believed them when they said I was producing value for other writers, and I took to heart their notes about necessary changes.
- I persevered.
- I listened when a writing friend told me I needed a designer, then a proofreader.
- I committed more deeply to the project, putting money into it by hiring professionals — a sure sign, for me, that I really believed in what I was producing. This was a not a frivolous undertaking; this was being a Writer.
- I suffered doubts and nerves and anxiety.
- And, yet, I persevered.
The original creative spark is essential, but the perseverance is key. The spark got me going; the perseverance saw me through to the end.
Of course, this end is just another beginning. With the book in hand, I am ready to celebrate at the public launch on October 3rd; that's when the next phase of writing a book begins: getting it into the hands of readers, aka, selling it. This is the "business of being a writer", which requires a bit of entrepreneurial spirit and a whole lot more perseverance.
And I am ready for it.
............................................................................................................................................
To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot com. Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.
Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.
Original photo of arm by Siora Photography on Unsplash. I superimposed my handbook onto the image, creating the composite for my own purposes.

Comments
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.