Let us be kind every day, simply because we can be. Let the rest go...

We can be so many things
Every day, any day
So let us be kind
Every day, any day
Let us always be kind

I was taken aback when I realized, last week, that September 11th, this year, marked the 25th anniversary of that dreadful event named simply by its date.

I remember being at work that day, time unfolding as it became clear, slowly, what was going on. We watched it on television, no smartphones to send videos across the distance, just each other, right there, together. Trying to make sense.

The next day, the wicked awfulness became headlines, then weeks and months and years of news coverage and wars and death and more death and ongoing politics, destruction, and the very worst of humanity.

And, yet, what brings me to tears about September 11th, anytime, is the kindness that also existed back on that day. Especially the kindness shown by the people of Gander, Newfoundland, shown to the thousands whose planes were grounded there on that day. The story from there is about the best of humanity — kindness, love, generosity. Given because, human to human, it was needed, it was natural, and it was normal.

So many years ago, yet memories, so many, so vivid, still.

Let us remember the best from that day, and let us be that every day.

Kind
Loving
Generous

We can be this, every day
So let us offer kindness, give love, and live generously
Every day
Any day
Always








............................................................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot com. Put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.


Comments

  1. Thanks Amanda, kindness is really what makes a society and it softens the edges of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. Thank you for this kind, serious, reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A so simple thing: being kind
    So helpful for others
    So satisfying for ourselves

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Book review: The Full Catastrophe: All I Ever Wanted, Everything I Feared

My friend & colleague Cordt Euler: 1966-2025

Happy Birthday, Mum: on grief and memories