Licensed to Fly

Yes, it's very pink, but it's a good read. Individuals' stories
of trials and tribulations and successes in re/inventing themselves. 
I like to read autobiographies and biographies -- someone's own story told in book form. I always imagine myself in their place: Would I have had the courage? Taken that chance? Ended up in that same spot?

Over the Christmas break, I read Debbie Travis's (very pink) book; I had heard her on the radio and found her charming in how she described her years-long journey to find, renovate and now run a retreat villa in Tuscany. 

That's not where I'm headed, but the lessons she outlines as being part of her journey are informative for anyone interested in living their next chapter fully -- whatever that means or wherever it takes place for the person. 

I'm parking these thoughts and images on this Five Years a Writer blog as a reminder to myself (and maybe others) that change is empowering and fulfilling when we initiate it ourselves and head towards a new (exciting, challenging, unknown) destination. 

Success (whatever that actually means) is not guaranteed, of course. But that's not the point for me. 

For me the point is to be actively engaged in my living day to day, so that, over the years, I'm not just killing time, but using it with agency and intent to take myself to where I genuinely want to be.

While my specific destination is in flux, my intention to keep heading in that general direction is firm and clear. Onward!

Key points/lessons from my reading of Debbie Travis's book: I like to be reminded, in my own way, of what the building blocks of change are. 

Every day has 24 hours in it: "The bad news is that time flies; the good news is that we are the pilot." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother