A Post a Day in May #2: Giving and Receiving

I have pledged to write a new post for this blog every day in May.

It’s easy to be generous, right? When you give a gift, you’re being generous, right? 

Not necessarily so, say I. 

Generosity is an interesting attribute. Defined as the ‘quality of being kind and generous’, where ‘generous’ means ‘giving more than necessary’ and ‘showing kindness towards others’, generosity is most usually understood as being demonstrated in the giving of it. But the other day, I was reminded by a colleague of how important it is to be generous when on the receiving end of a kindness. Be appreciative, sure. But be generous, too. Let me explain. 

This colleague is new to my work group and, while we’ve not known each other long at all, we connected and got right down to productive collaboration. She’s smart, hardworking and fun. Which is why I should have been more generous when she paid me a compliment. 

“You’re a leader, Amanda,” she said. 

“Oh, pshaw,” said I, or something to that effect, batting her words away so they wouldn’t land on me and I wouldn’t need to claim them publicly for the truth that I can, within myself, acknowledge. I am a leader, but I also know that social conditioning suggests that expressly admitting to this skill is unseemly and, maybe, especially so for a woman. 

“No, no,” she said. “I’m giving you feedback, Amanda, and you need to take it. Feedback, especially when it’s positive, must be accepted by the receiver. Don’t throw it back at the sender.” 

Well. That stopped me in my tracks. For goodness sake: I teach the sender/receiver/feedback model all the time in my classes, and I stress the importance of feedback: the need to give it, to respond to it, to recognize the value of it. And here I was, repelling feedback from a highly credible source, because it was positive — because it was praise directed at me. 

In that split-second exchange, I was reminded of what I believe: That being generous often means receiving the gift with grace and appreciation; it means accepting what is being offered — tangible or intangible — precisely because it is meant for you. 

I value the compliment my colleague paid me, but I value even more the truth she reminded me of: That it’s not nothing to be generous in the receiving — it’s everything. It honours the giver while laying open the receiver to the kindness that came their way. And this is where the challenge lies. 

Feeling beholden leaves us vulnerable to emotions that can make us uncomfortable. So we minimize the gift or ignore it or repel it, as our defence against that most human of all feelings: vulnerability. 

While it may be easier to give than to receive, it is often more generous to willingly accept a kindness and, in so doing, to be profoundly and humanly vulnerable in that act of receiving. 

Thanks for reading. 

- - - - 

Writers want to be read; at least, this writer wants to be read, so comments, rebuttals and feedback are all welcome. Subscribe to the blog to receive the posts direct into your email inbox. 

Comments

  1. You nailed it, Amanda. Thanks for these thoughts. I shall ponder them today, and I shall try to be generous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bang on Amanda!!! I learned this from a mentor awhile back and it stopped me in my tracks. Easier said that done. This was a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story, and that you ended up with thoughts about vulnerability; that's a new connection for me. Your opening sentences threw me off a bit, though. This is possibly because I focused on the word "gift" rather than the word "give." I thought the post was going to be about how gifts can be decidedly UNgenerous, because they tie the receiver to some kind of obligation. Instead, the post is about the generosity in receiving. It is, of course, totally fine that the post went somewhere other than where I thought it was going. But could there be a better lead-in, or is there a gift in the element of surprise in going somewhere other than where I thought we were going? Should I be a better receiver here, or offer in return for your thought-provoking post the feedback that perhaps this piece could be set up better? I don't know. But I do know that I trust you will be a very generous receiver of these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother