A Post a Day in May 2019 #10: Battle of Wills v1

I have pledged to write a new post for this blog every day in May. 

I am playing with form today. This is a prose poem I wrote in a creative writing course in 1997. I learned from the instructor, Robert Budde, that narrative poems take story and make them more intimate. See what you think. 

-------------------

It’s time to give the cat his next pill.

Deftly scoop him up as he streaks by
On to other matters. The sunbeam on the kitchen floor. 

He is lifted and bundled in an old heavy shirt to confine his escape.
His eyes close.
His body held, content. He purrs. 

Until the hand reaches down to pull back his head.
Until the hand pries open his mouth. 
Until the pill is placed way back in his throat, his jaw held closed. 

He wants to move, to leave, but cannot. 
His stillness is stubborn. 
His quiet a cover for determination not to swallow, not to submit. 
Finally he swallows. 
Is praised, released. 

His paws reach the floor only seconds before the pill hits the kitchen tiles. 

The cat is victor.

The humans buy hamburger for next time. 

----------------

Thanks for reading. Robert's note to me on this piece all those years ago was, 'How about a poem from the cat's point of view?' Twenty-two years later, I say: 'Stay tuned, Robert.' 

Writers want to be read; at least, this writer wants to be read, so comments, rebuttals and feedback are all welcome. Subscribe to the blog to receive the posts direct into your email inbox.

Comments

  1. I know it is part of teaching, to suggest ways to improve, and that isn't precisely what Robert did. None the less, so often a student's work is sent back with suggestions to make it better. Or different. Or something. This used to dishearten me. Then I matured a little and started making bets to myself about what the "do better" list would include!

    I liked your poem. That is all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Pulling up stakes and starting anew: Moving pictures