A Post a Day in May 2019 #14: Allo? Bonjour!

I have pledged to write a new post for this blog every day in May.

I’m feeling a little lost, a little sad, these days without my friends from the ASK talent agency in Paris to keep me company. I’ve become invested in their professional work and their personal relationships, and I miss them. 

Yes, it’s ‘only’ a show on Netflix, but what a show. Call My Agent is three seasons of smart dialogue, laugh-out-loud moments of human foibles, and the gorgeousness of daily life in Paris. Oh my goodness, the style, the architecture, the language, the drinking — if it’s not ‘un petit cafe’ it’s ‘une coupe de champagne’ (the agency is well stocked). I’ve enjoyed the story lines, which always feature big-name French actors who play themselves in the world of film and which weave in the evolving relationships among the agency partners, their assistants, their clients, and their families. 

There is drama and tension. There is comedy and poignancy. And there is such fine acting as only, it seems, European productions can achieve. I relied on the subtitles, but, over time, my ear grew ever more used to the fast-paced speech and by the end I used them only to verify my understanding rather than to know what was being said. See? It’s self-improving, too! 

Treat yourself to a little sojourn in The City of Lights. Go on: Call My Agent. 

Thanks for reading. 

- - - - 
Writers want to be read; at least, this writer wants to be read, so comments, rebuttals and feedback are all welcome. Subscribe to the blog to receive the posts direct into your email inbox. 


Comments

  1. I get it. I feel a sadness/loss when I have finished the last episode of my flavour-of-the-day Netflix series.
    Ozark, Rake and Money for Nothing have left me wanting more...………...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will add this one to The List . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother