A Post a Day in May 2019 #16: Pleasant Valley

I have pledged to write a new post for this blog every day in May.

I am working on several pieces for posting, but none is ready for sharing just yet. I hope to produce some more haiku and possibly a limerick (thanks for the idea, Nancy!), a rant about clothes, cat stories, ramblings about routine, and more. 

In the meantime and because the world is crazy mad this week (draconian abortion laws in Alabama, anyone?), let’s sidestep the hard stuff today and have a little interlude in Pleasant Valley, shall we?

Of writing and books: Take a wander to an estate sale in New Hampshire that offers, via the writer who describes it, some lessons worth pondering about poets, the writing life and owning books. Writing Lessons.

Making the point in colour: A city politician in Montreal is using red and green yarn to illustrate how much more men talk at the mic than women do. During council meetings, Sue Montgomery is knitting with red yarn when men speak, and with green yarn when women are speaking. Click here to learn which colour dominates in her piece. 

What a fierce face! 
Stepping up: On Tuesday evening, I gave a short speech in support of the local candidate for whom I’ve done a bit of volunteering (my lone political contribution in recent times). A lot was riding on that evening’s vote and, while my speech was likely not a make-or-break contribution for the candidate, I was pleased to step up and deliver the words I had written myself to nominate her. Over the years, I’ve written so much for others to say and so much about topics I am not passionate about, that it felt great to use my skill in service of a strong progressive woman willing to enter provincial politics. Lisa Naylor is her name

Thanks for reading. 

- - - - 

Writers want to be read; at least, this writer wants to be read, so comments, rebuttals and feedback are all welcome. Subscribe to the blog to receive the posts direct into your email inbox. 

Comments

  1. Brava. And I’m hoping Lisa got the vote she needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lisa was the elected candidate to represent our constituency in the next provincial election. Yay!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother