A Post a Day in May #22: Not a trip to Ireland

I have pledged to write a new post for this blog every day in May. 

Regular readers know that I like fitting ideas to words and then the words into a particular form. I have already posted haiku and prose poems during Post a Day in May; today, I'm throwing caution to the wind and sharing a few limericks I've written (some with Val's help). 

My friend Nancy suggested I try my hand at this form, which is, I'm here to tell you, not as easy as you might think. The strict rhyming convention (AABBA) is not straightforward to achieve. Nonetheless, it was great fun to stretch my brain to this style of verse. 

Read my efforts aloud and maybe cut me some slack when it comes to the rhythm; if you play with it enough, I think it works in every one. But you tell me:

***
There was a young woman who worked as the matron
She washed dishes wearing an apron.
Headmaster aghast,
Looked beyond and looked past
That she had nothing at all (at all!) more on. 

***
The villa was quiet as peace
No disturbance, not even the meece.
While outside did roar
The wild things galore.
Such is life at the villa in Greece.

***
The cat, the bird and the mouse,
The dog, the goat and the louse:
While owners away
They did nothing but play
Inside every room in the house. 

***
There once was a madman named Trump
He was a fool and nicknamed The Drumpf.
Despite his many drawbacks
He won the White House through hacks
Now Trump leads the world as Head Chump.

***
There once was a man named Trump
Whose real estate deals hit a slump.
So he got on his knees,
“Make me president please!"
Said Putin, “Hill’s emails I’ll dump!”

***
“Make me president,” Trump sighs.
Putin replies, with a gleam in his eyes:
“With Trump at the helm,
Our powers overwhelm.
And another democracy dies.” 

You can learn more about limericks here.

Thanks for reading. 

- - - - 


Writers want to be read; at least, this writer wants to be read, so comments, rebuttals and feedback are all welcome. Subscribe to the blog to receive the posts direct into your email inbox. 


Comments

  1. Thank you for this morning's chuckle, although I do consider the T word an obscenity. You're forgive this once. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! May I share a limerick I wrote while on a tour-bus trip in Ireland with my blind husband. The tour guide asked us to write one which she would share with the group during quite times on the bus.

    My submission was:

    There once was a man from BC
    Who went to Ireland on a spree
    He did he best
    To keep up with rest
    Although blind as a bat couldn't see.

    Your post was so timely because just yesterday I was thinking about it and how much fun it was to write it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother