A Post a Day in May #13: Alone together

I have pledged to write a new post for this blog every day in May. 
It’s early morning, still dark out, when I get up. The cat wants feeding and I have work to do, so I’ll use this quiet time to be productive. 

from my collage series,
COVID-19: end-date unknown/Nine 
First things first, I put on the kettle for tea. Then I feed the cat and fire up my laptop. Check email. Loads of auto-mailed messages from worthy causes and political organizations that want my attention — and money. Shut that down. Go to Facebook. And open that e-window onto the very large world in which I am living these days, despite being in lockdown in our very small house. 

Social media is much maligned for its commercial content, its relentless reach into our wallets, and its highjacking of our minds. But it can be so much more if you ignore the noise and search for the creative, instead. And when you find that one site, that one voice that draws you in with genuine feeling, then I guarantee you that you’ll find more. Because that’s how creativity works: Creativity breeds creativity. Nurtures energy. Fuels good things. 

I stumbled on Jesse Cook’s One World One Voice song and had it on replay all morning. Yes, for the catchy music, but also for the message he and hundreds of his fans created together: Reach out to others to make something together and, thanks to technology, a great tune and a whole chorus of voices from across the globe made a beautiful noise to fill today’s empty city streets. 

Pluto, a 14-year-old Schnauzer voiced by her human mum Nancie Wight, whooshes love around the internet, all the while giving advice about the tyranny of button-pants and the importance of self-care during self-isolation. Heads high, Hearts open is her motto. Pluto Living brings a laugh, even a belly-laugh, to me with every single post. 

Whatever the view from my urban neighbourhood window, I can look out onto wider horizons by visiting the View from my Window Facebook group. People post one photo of, well, the view from their window, and it is remarkable. The other day, I saw the Eiffel Tower in one photo and a mountain goat in another. It opens my mind and lifts my heart to visit the world this way. 

Like any trip we take, the one into social media requires that we use our own best judgement about which road to take and which to avoid. But when we find the perfect one for what we didn't even know we wanted to see, then that one takes us exactly where we need to go. 

------------

Writers want to be read, so comments, rebuttals and feedback are all welcome. Subscribe to the blog to receive the posts direct into your email inbox. Use Google Chrome or FireFox as your browser, if you have problems via Safari. I cannot post comments via Safari, but can via Google Chrome. 

Comments

  1. Isn't it interesting how Social Media has gone from something to read in the morning over coffee and maybe check back to later in the day, following a few blogs, falling down a few rabbit holes, but mostly all for entertainment, but is now a big part of our connection with the world.

    The Black Plague of the 14th century killed about half the population in some places, and caused one of the greatest social upheavals in history, saw the emergence of capitalism, and set us up for the industrial revolution of the 18th century. I wonder what will come of this plague. Our planet has already taken a deep breath. The New York governor has introduced leadership and transparency into our political climate. What next?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother