A Post a Day in May #14: Signs of community

I have pledged to write a new post for this blog every day in May. 

I am no longer commuting by foot and bus to get to my place of work, so I have been taking early-morning walks through my neighbourhood as an alternative way of getting some exercise into my daily routine.

And on these walks, I am seeing things that I did not previously see so readily; I think they were not there. The hydro poles used to be covered with posters for live face-to-face public events. But in these days of lockdown, the hydro poles are covered with other kinds of announcements. They are signs of community and they speak to the human impulse to use creativity to show compassion during these strange times.

We are, of course, not all the same. Some say, “There’s nothing to do” while others say, “I know how to fill myself up” — and do so by going inward and then putting themselves, via their creation, out there. 

As I walk the quiet early-morning streets, I appreciate the risk the creative ones have taken to put their own mark on the world. And I am challenged to do so myself. 
What these creative pieces lack in polish, they make up for with heart

------------

Writers want to be read, so comments, rebuttals and feedback are all welcome. Subscribe to the blog to receive the posts direct into your email inbox. Use Google Chrome or FireFox as your browser, if you have problems via Safari. I cannot post comments via Safari, but can via Google Chrome. 

Comments

  1. Today I saw a bright green reminder to keep social distance stenciled on the sidewalk. And up at our corner someone had marked off six feet so pedestrians could visualize it more easily. But my favorite was a series of signs asking drivers to honk because someone named Max was ten years old today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother