Aimless wanderings

The other day, I had enough time to just enjoy it. I got up without a plan and simply made my way through the day. Well. That makes it sound easy. It wasn’t. I kept thinking I should be doing something. And I suppose was. Doing something. It just wasn’t what I usually do, which is being planned and productive. 

That day, I allowed myself to just wander through time, enjoying the warm weather, the green growth in my flowerbeds and occasionally having a cup of tea. 


It was rather nice. Except it felt so strange to me. 


I think I need more practice. 


I’ll put it on my list: Wander more. Be aimless more. Enjoy more. 


I think that’s a plan. And I can live with that. 


-----

A Post a Day in May No. 26 For the past two years, I have posted something to this blog every single day in May. This year, I hope to do it again. 


Photo by Henri Lajarrige Lombard on Unsplash 


Comments

  1. Are you practicing for retirement? If not, you should be. The first year was very difficult for me. I didn't quite know what to do with myself after forty years of scheduled days.

    So I volunteered for hospice, along with my newly qualified therapy dog, Toby. Before long we had a case load of 6-8 patients, and I found myself once more going to "work." That's not the point of retirement. I certainly wasn't enjoying any wandering or aimless enjoyment.

    But after a couple of years and the death of a patient to whom I'd got very attached, I cut back. That's when real retirement began.

    I just realized I have posted here every day in May! I'll be sad when June arrives, even with the roses, which I'll take time to smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed, yes. I am looking ahead to retirement from full-time work. No time like the present to plan for it, eh!?

      Delete
  2. Yes, practising is the key for something that does not come naturally. Allowing yourself to enjoy something you really like even if it isn’t useful or goal oriented is a beginning.
    You can wander, be aimless and enjoy once in a while, then once week, then once a day. And why not all day long ?

    I need to add: when April came , I asked myself if you would do the May challenge . I’m very pleased that you did. I enjoy reading you every morning .
    At the end of this month, like Ann, I’ll miss your daily posts .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sage advice, Danielle. And I have been delighted to have you as a reader again this year. Merci!

      Delete
  3. Being happy, enjoying what you are, where you are and who you're with, adds good energy to the world. Enjoy the small miracles, a great cup of coffee, the pattern the sun makes through the trees, the warmth of a home, hot and cold running water, beauty anywhere and everywhere. Live in the present, a master at this is Thich Nhat Hanh, he's one of my favourite people in the world and he's brilliant at mindfulness. One of his quotes: Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother