Being seen


On Friday, the college president wore a PRIDE pin on his lapel, at an all-employee professional development conference. 

And it was astounding — 


because in 1969, the Stonewall Riots ignited the gay liberation movement. 


because in 1978, Harvey Milk, the first openly gay elected official in California, was shot in his office.


because in 1981, the Toronto Bathhouse Raids took place, marking a turning point for Toronto’s gay community. 


because in 1986 during Winnipeg’s first PRIDE parade, some people wore paper bags over their heads to protect their identity.


because it took until 2005 for same-sex marriage to be legal in Canada — but still isn’t in 166 countries around the world.


For all these reasons and for so many more in 2021, when the president wears a PRIDE pin and says he's looking forward to helping raise the PRIDE flag on campus, we are seen. 


And it matters. 


-----


I have written on this topic before: Becoming seen and Showing myself


June is PRIDE month. For the history of PRIDE in Canada read this or this.

-----

A Post a Day in May No. 25 For the past two years, I have posted something to this blog every single day in May. This year, I hope to do it again. 


Comments

  1. My Aunt Dot, after her partner of more than fifty years died, came to live near me. She had spent most of her life closeted, and said that she never wanted to see another straight person! She lived less than a year, but for that time I tried to grant her wish. Every Sunday afternoon we went to one of the last surviving lesbian bars where she held court with all the young things, telling her stories and beating them in games of pool. I saw her daily, as did my then girlfriend. We included her in everything we did -- whether a party or breakfast at a diner. And when June came, we took her to the Pride Parade. Before I could park the car, we got waved into the parade! And so, at 75, Aunt Dot came out to the entire city.

    She died in October, in hospice, attended by gay caretakers and me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother