Clocks and desks

Since the age of five, the rhythm of my years has been measured by the start of school or the start of work. For 56 years, I have looked ahead to either a school desk or a work desk as my destination in the morning. 

But in just a few weeks, I will be looking ahead to the destination of my choice, as I have decided to leave full-time work this summer. It will be a time of transition, of discovering new rhythms between the hours of 8am and 5pm, and of inventing new patterns within the week. And I am ready for these new learnings. 


For new learnings there shall be. Consider time and the use thereof. 


I recently re-read Marilyn French’s “classic feminist novel” The Women’s Room (first published in 1977) and was struck by this description of time without routine: “You have to spend so much energy just getting through the day when you have no habits that you don’t have any left for productive labour.” (p. 136)


Now, my goal in retirement will not be 5-day-a-week productive labour, but I am looking forward to having time — precious, glorious time — to fill with things I want to do, things I enjoy doing, things that give me pleasure. And I know that productive labour will be one of those things. 


I don’t yet know what the rhythm or routine of my days will be in order to generate the energy I'll want for my chosen productive labour, but I am looking forward to figuring it out.


- - - - -

A Post a Day in May No. 28 For the past two years, I have posted something to this blog every single day in May. This year, I hope to do it again.


Photo by Catherine Hughes on Unsplash 


Comments

  1. You have prepared this retirement for so long that I’m sure that you will enjoy it.
    I wish you the best !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle. I am entering the phase of being excited at the possibilities that this next chapter will bring.

      Delete
  2. I have one rule -- often broken, but then that's what rules are for, once you're retired.

    And that rule is this: Never schedule more than one appointment/big job/event per day.

    I found that when I worked, I had no trouble fitting in the dentist over my lunch hour, getting groceries on my way home from work, and going out to dinner with friends, all in one day.
    Now I find that if I am seeing my doctor at one o'clock, I spend the morning getting ready and the afternoon, when I'm back home, resting up and ordering take out for dinner.

    It's a rule.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that rules are made to be broken. And I also agree that squeezing things in between other things is something to let go of once full-time work is over. Having time to simply live (and maybe also to live simply) will be very good.

      Delete
  3. I love retirement, I have four main outlets for being productive (I count reading as productive), painting, gardening, reading and friends. They keep me just as busy as I want to be, I'm doing exactly what I want to do, and for the most part, when I want to do it. Life is amazing and fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I am so excited for you as you go into retirement. As a creative person with lots of interests, you will love it!

    As I write this - May 31st - it is exactly one year since I left my place of employment. I cannot exactly call myself retired, as I am busy with new work projects and ventures - but the old 9 to 5, working for a boss - is completely gone, and I do not miss it a single bit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother