Red wing/Big sky

Today is Monday of the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada, so come along. We’re going on a virtual road trip together, out of the city, along the highway, to the lake. Let’s open up our minds and hearts with a new vista. 

We’ll begin by making some yummy food to take along. No road trip is worth its mileage without food at the destination. What will you bring? I’m bringing tuna salad, bread and cheese. And chocolate biscuits for dessert, with coffee (instant, but it’s quite good). 


As we drive down the highway, keep your eyes open for my favourite easy-to-spot marsh-nesting bird: the red-winged blackbird. That red on the wing is a dead giveaway, as the bird flies through the air and lands on a reed in the ditch. 



When we arrive at the cottage, the view across the lake is like a huge sigh of release for me. For you, too? The big expanse of water in front of us and the big sky above — so far away from the density of the city neighbourhood left far behind. 


Let’s spend time now puttering around, looking here, seeing this and remarking on that. The trees have grown well, but man, is it DRY. Manitoba is truly in a drought and the green matter (I hesitate to call it grass) beneath our feet is positively crunchy. Oy. Rain, rain, please come this way! 

We’ll have lunch in the gazebo, overlooking Lake Winnipeg. There’s that big sky again. And the lake spread out before us. Balm for the soul. 


And the food tastes so good out here. It’s 20 degrees inside, just from the greenhouse effect. Very comfortable, indeed. 

I hope you don’t mind that Holly (the cat) has come along with us. She’s a good traveller and she likes the cottage. But this past year, it seems, has aged her somewhat and she is spending her time today finding spots to rest — no shortage of those for her! 


We’ll sit with our coffee and chocolate biscuits, enjoying the view. Then we’ll whip up the dishes, close up the windows and head home. It’s been a whirlwind, really, but this day trip has bust open my horizon and expanded my sights. Thanks for coming along. Hope you enjoyed the outing! 



-----

A Post a Day in May No. 24 For the past two years, I have posted something to this blog every single day in May. This year, I hope to do it again. 


Red-winged blackbird photo by Kieran Wood on Unsplash 

Comments

  1. It's always lovely to spend virtual time with you and Val at your cabin. Will you be able to bring your mother along this year? I know the plague numbers aren't great in Canada. But there is hope, yes?

    This makes me want to take an afternoon trip to the Big Lake -- Ontario -- and look across to our friends in Toronto. Or even farther. To Winipeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann: Our collective fingers are crossed for Mum to join us at the cottage this summer.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for bringing me along.
    The road looks like the image I have of “ les prairies “ even if I never went there before.
    I love being near all kinds of water : lake, river, ocean. I’m enjoying your view plenty.
    I’ve brought an egg sandwich, greenhouse cucumber, oatmeal cookies and tea to share your meal in this comfortable cottage.
    What a good Victoria Day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle: Thank you for coming along! I am happy I could share the prairie skies with you. And your lunch looks delicious, too :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother