Too much

Some days, the world is just too much. So I retreat into a book. Not just any book, but one I know is safe to read. And that means I often end up with a book written for children. 

Oh, the joy of a story well told about a character, young of age, interested in exploring themselves and the world, and doing things! 


My most comforting childhood read is about Jill and her ponies. Anything I might know about riding comes from the Jill books — including how to fall off one and get right back up. I tried to follow this advice when I fell off my Aunt Vivian’s horse Kitty, but I didn’t quite manage it. I just trailed into the house looking for comfort. Vivian marched me right back out to get back up on Kitty. Harsh, but a good lesson. 


I enjoy reading the 3-book series about Emma, who has to go live with her absent-minded aunt Patsy in Edinburgh after her parents are killed in a car crash. Children’s books are not all fun and games. Emma’s story is all about figuring out how to create a good life with Patsy, even though she would much rather not have to. That’s a good lesson, too. 


I love the Nurse Barton series, practically know it by heart and still enjoy every one of the seven books about Sue and her pals in nursing school, and then her life as a doctor’s wife and neighbourhood nurse. The lessons in those stories are about being kind and using one’s skills for whatever good one can in the circumstances in which one finds oneself. Another good lesson. 


The Penderwicks are a fun read about a loving family, who seem to genuinely enjoy each other’s company. So comforting to read of such a family when we are living in such troubled times. 


Today, however, I am reading a series new to me, about Ramona, a cheerful younger sister to Beatrice, created by Beverly Cleary. It’s good writing about ordinary children whose parents love them and who read a lot of books. What could be more comforting than that? 


Do you read children’s books or do you find comfort by other means? 


-----

A Post a Day in May No. 20 For the past two years, I have posted something to this blog every single day in May. This year, I hope to do it again. 


Comments

  1. Alas, I do not read children's books any more. Although with four littles, I've read quite a lot. But that's not what you mean, is it.

    I have saved a few books from my childhood. They are displayed in a case in my bedroom. I haven't opened one in decades.

    So my comfort comes from my partner, of course, and from Penny Lane and Sergeant Pepper and Eliot. Pictures of the new great grandchild come daily -- what a record those parents will have of Baby Griffin and all his firsts! I'd give a lot to hear the laughter from my babies again.

    It is past mid-May, and already I'm sad thinking these daily messages from you will soon end. It is the best thing I read in my morning mail, saving it for last, to savor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find comfort in reading.
    Not children books, because I mostly read books from the school library in my youth and nothing stayed with me to this day.
    I reread books that I particularly loved as an adult and that I know they will bring me pleasure and comfort.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother