Stylin' like Rosie

This pandemic has dragged on long enough, don't you think? 

As it continues on its seemingly (though hopefully not) inexorable trajectory, I am counting time in a variety of ways: How many months have I been working from home? When did I last have a relaxed face-to-face visit with a friend? How frequently did I apply hand sanitizer yesterday? When can I go happily browsing in my local bookstore again? And so on. 

But the biggest way that I am marking time in month 15 of COVID-19 is by how frequently I am resorting to, shall we say, hair accessories. 

Normally, I wash my (short and neat) hair, comb it into place, let it air dry and then forget about it. 


These days, I am struggling to not constantly push it off my forehead, out of my eyes and off my shirt collar. Sheesh! Too long for comfort (or style) but not long enough to do anything interesting with — like a casual pony tail or chic chignon or something. (I’ve never had either a pony tail or a chignon, of course, but it might be fun to try, no?) 


When I reach for a hair pin to keep my hair off my face, I know it’s been several weeks past my last-booked-and-then-cancelled hair appointment. When I resort to a Rosie-the-Riveter-style hairband, I know I can count it in months since I last had a haircut. 


I have recently pulled out the hairbands. 


Oh well. Chin up. Hair back. Fist raised. We can do this! 


——-

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.



Comments

  1. It's the Jo Brand look, except I think her hair is either pink or international orange these days. I understand your plight. A couple of weeks ago I woke up and thought I was going blind. It was just the hair in front of my eyes, touching my nose. We are open here, so I went for a haircut. It's now out of my eyes, off my neck, cut up over my ears, as butch as I'll ever get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I bought hair clips and have a curls coming over look right now! I figure in a few more weeks I can get more of it into an elastic and use two clips for the front. Yesterday I resorted to a baseball cap. Now you have me thinking about hair bands.


    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear, I feel your pain from the other side of my cut. I have a drawer full of Alice bands, some donated by Julia for the cause, little clips thingys, tiny slides, Bobby pins. Email me and I’ll bundle them up and ship to you with
    Pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the colours of your head band Amanda.
      Here the hairdressers are safely open. For the second summer in a row, I went for a close-cropped hair cut. Very liberating. I must say that I have very little hair anyway.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Pulling up stakes and starting anew: Moving pictures