The Little General

A Post a Day in May 22/31

Do you know who you are? Do others?

My brother, Charles, has undertaken the herculean task of digitizing all our late father’s slides and then sharing them with the family. This results in periodically receiving a dump of digital photos in folders over the internet — at first a bit daunting, but then pure delight to scroll through the years represented by the photos on the screen.

Seeing the very early days of our parents’ life in Canada (they immigrated from England in 1953) is fascinating (the fashion, the cars, the cigarettes, the canvas tents!), but what really catches my eye and captures my heart are the pictures of my siblings and me as very young children. OK, I’ll be honest: The pictures of me as a youngster are most interesting to me, the one illustrating this post particularly so.

I look so determined with my arms crossed, but also so jolly with that impish smile. It brought to mind this description of me by my friend Jeff, from my master’s program, which he wrote on the occasion of our graduation:

“I always remember Amanda striding up and down the 4th floor hall during the program’s first residency, in October 2004. That was when I began to think of her as The Little General. She would march past the open door of my tiny residency room, occasionally stopping to share some sharp insight about the program, or a succinct summary of a theory. It was her beguiling way of collecting her thoughts as she prepared to attack whatever assignment was about to shrivel before her focus and smarts. Amanda’s and my friendship deepened during the following year, the second residency, and the final months of the program. She is one of those people whom I aspire to be more like.”

In the photo I must be about aged four, so more than four decades prior to Jeff’s description of me, and it makes me wonder just how innate that “Little General” character is to me. Certainly, Jeff is not the only one to notice it or name it in some way. My partner, Val, often characterizes me as “the Queen”: imperious in tone, benevolent in action, and now with laugh-lines etching my face, because I do like to laugh. 

Whether nature or nurture makes us who and how we are, it is both curious and fascinating when others name us as we seem to truly be. And for that reason, among many, family photos are precious: The (few) good ones offer a glimpse into who we were and, maybe, offer the answer to why we are who we have become.  

———

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Comments

  1. Amanda, you are so cute and you certainly look the part of the happy little general.

    Coincidentally, this spring, I finally opened a box that was given to me eleven years ago after my father’s death. Emotionally, I was not ready for this before. It contained pictures of my parents before and after marriage, including some of their families. It also contained photos of my brothers and I when we were young. In those, I seem shy but determined.
    I invited my brothers for a meal and an evening during which we shared pictures and memories.
    It was emotional but I’m happy to be done with this box. It weighed me each time I saw it in the back of my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it was Danielle

      Delete
    2. Danielle: Thanks for confirming! I thought it was you, as I recognized your voice from your comments over the years... :)

      Delete
  2. You did look cutely determined in that photo, Amanda. Lucky you that your father kept those family photos, and that your brother has been sending you the digitized versions to go down memory lane. I figured I would have the same opportunity when I had to pack up my late dad's apartment in Toronto last October. But to my dismay, I found he had thrown out all our family photo albums.No photos of my childhood remain. I found some early photos of him and my mom & my surviving grandparents from the 1950s & 1960s that I had never seen. I shared some of my mom on Mother's Day. I know my dad and I had a strained relationship but that gesture really hurt. Oh well, c'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace: I absolutely agree that we are lucky that Dad chronicled the family's life in slides and photographs, and that Charles is taking over the responsibility. While albums and boxes of prints can be a lot to manage over the years, as you so rightly point out, once they are tossed, they are gone for good. Only the memories can remain -- and goodness knows, memory can be faulty, so it's good to have the photo-proof of the past. I am really sorry that your dad threw out all your family's albums; that's rough.

      Delete
  3. Early indications of your character in that utterly confident wee red head, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So here is the seed of grown-up Amanda! The determination and the twinkle are still present - an endearing combination of traits, in an adorable little red-head child who will evolve into "The Queen"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother