Micro memoirs: Life stories 100 words at a time

 I recently participated in a challenge* to write one 100-word micro memoir every day for five days; each day had a theme that we were encouraged to use as the springboard for our writing. The genre was creative nonfiction, so this challenge was not about inventing stories, but, rather, about going deep into our memory banks to pull on the thread of experiences, big or small, from which to weave stories.

If I were to summarize the five stories I wrote, it could go something like this:

Once upon a time there was a girl named Amanda, who grew up with cats, so, as an adult, she always had at least one cat in her life. She was good at languages and because she was only 17 when she graduated from high school, she went to France to work as an au pair before returning to Canada to attend university. That first degree got her into a post-graduate journalism program, which she really enjoyed. While she never worked as a front-line journalist, her training became the foundation of her own writing journey. A friend introduced her to Val, who became her life partner and who, in turn, introduced her to the joys of outdoor adventures, including canoeing. Amanda had to muscle up to be able to do her share of the portaging of the canoe, and she was thrilled when she managed it. Her experiences with Val made the challenge of early-autumn swimming appealing; she liked that, too. (163 words)

But I wonder if you agree that the stories presented separately (below) have greater depth and impact as five distinct micro memoirs. I think they show the power of diving deep into one’s history and turning a slim memory into a compelling 100-word story through vivid compressed writing.

The challenge was fun and rewarding for me, and I think anyone could do it on their own, in their own time. The trick with memoir is to not wait too long to begin harvesting the memories and capturing them in writing, because, one day, it will be too late. 

Why not begin today, using the themes of the stories below? See what you might come up with. I bet your family and friends would love to read your micro memoirs.

Day one: Tell us about a formative experience
Generation gap
I loved my grandmother, intimidating though she was with her stern adherence to social etiquette and social standing. “No one respects their place anymore,” she pronounced firmly. Granny’s statement stopped me in my tracks. I had landed on her at the end of my gap year, full of experience yet nervous about my future: Where was my place in this world? Returning home, I jumped into university where I learned gloriously (ideas! politics! sex!) that my place is with anyone working for change, smashing the norms, bringing respect to difference. Times change, dear Granny, and I am working for more.

Day two: Tell us about a departure of some kind 
The Courage to Quit
On paper, it looked great. The right location. Decent title. Perfect start date. But on that first day, it all went wrong by noon. The office was nice, my desk adequate, the manager lovely. But the work? Not so much. Fresh out of journalism school, I wanted news, but as ‘editorial assistant’ got data entry instead. That evening, a miracle. The phone rang with a job offer at a big newspaper in Toronto. Yes! The next morning, I quit as editorial assistant and the following week was Copy Editor at The Financial Post. Good location. Perfect title. Life-saving start date.

Day three: Tell us about your body

The Body Beautiful
In the wilds of north-western Ontario, on the shore of the lake with the sun warm and the wind blowing, I stand firm on my feet, feel my body as power, raise my arms and receive the canoe — held up by my paddling partners — onto my shoulders, adjusting the full weight spread across the yoke. I had trained for this, but the sixty pounds are still heavy on my 5’ 2” frame. I move slow and steady along the portage, navigating the terrain as much by feel underfoot as with my eyes. This is the body beautiful: strong, determined, capable.

Day four: Tell us a love story
Four-legged love
Beautiful Bountiful, the ginger cat: You were my first fur-love. I found you in Halifax, then moved half-way across Canada, but you staked your territory, King of the Block, as if raised there. You had your share of hits and hurts and overnight losts — stuck up a tree or wandered too far, but, always, you found your way home. Cancer once, you vanquished; cancer twice brought death. Beautiful Bountiful, you opened my heart for Blanco, then Lewis, then Chester, now Holly — one cat leading to another. Small, demanding, loving, they are teacher, tyrant, therapist, and friend. Naturally. No training required.

Day five: Tell us a nature story
Cold caper
I descend, rung by rung, the water up to my neck, I gasp, breath caught, I push off, turn onto my back, arms moving fast to propel me through the water, heart racing, the lake water so cold, but it’s a dare, keep swimming, the bright blue sky, the sharp clear September sun the canopy to this foolhardy lark in waters so cold it’s crazy and also exhilarating, until it’s not, it’s too cold, I turn back, swim to the dock, climb out, feel the coolness of the air kiss my skin and I am glad I took the dare.


*Nicole Breit led the challenge I participated in. I have modified her original prompts for this blogpost. 

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comSimply put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Comments

  1. Your writing is such a wonderful start to my day. And once again I’m reminded that I should get some of my memories preserved while I still can.

    Maybe tomorrow, says the Great Procastinator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ann: Today, begin today. How about a story from your nursing days in the 1980s? One patient who stands out in your memory?

      Delete
  2. Amanda, I love the idea of micro memoirs! What a great way to prompt the memories and get the words flowing. To write an entire autobiography could be a daunting project, but this is doable, bit by bit.

    The personal stories you have shared here are endearing! Such an epic photo of you with the canoe. And - beautiful Bountiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Pamela: Yes, exactly. A whole memoir seems daunting, but 100-word (or so) stories triggered by a slim memory or maybe a photograph are eminently doable. And, the wonder is, that one leads to another leads to another...which is maybe how a book is written...

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, so interesting how much about you is conveyed in such short little stories. As always, so look forward to and enjoy your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I'd love to read *your* 100-word stories! Maybe your splendid paintings could be a jumping off point...

      Delete
  4. Perfect rending of your challenge Amanda. I love the five stories.

    I attended biography writing workshops for three seasons . During those, I wrote about youth, teens and the beginning of adult life. At first, I didn’t think I would remember a lot but more the I wrote, the more the stories came.
    I’m not sure I could condense something in 100 words but I’m tempted to try.
    You do it very well Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon: You are so right -- the more we write, the easier the memories come. Something about priming the pump. Have you shared your stories anywhere? I'd love to read them!

      Delete
  5. Great read! Thanks for that and Bountiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved all of your stories, Amanda, especially the one of you Beautiful Bountiful. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry if this is a repeat, the first seems to have vanished into the ether.
    Lovely memories and so well written, thanks, Amanda, and Beautiful Bountiful particularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martha in NC. I really enjoy compressed writing! Bountiful was just over 18 when he died; had he been a human 'son', he would have been heading off to college. That was a long and treasured relationship I had.

      Delete
  8. Sorry, the first anonymous was me: Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your very short stories reflect, very clearly and concisely, the person that you are. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Short packed with a punch! Love the tightness and what each reveals all at the same time. Great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place