Deadlines, anniversaries and commitments: Meeting them, marking them and making them

“Are you stupid?” asked the teacher of the student who had been doing the same practice for a very long time. “I didn’t mean for you to do it forever. I meant for you to do it until you needed to move on.”

I have been thinking of this story, which a senior yoga teacher told at a workshop I attended a very long time ago. It was told with equanimity, the teacher having been the student to whom that other teacher had been speaking many years earlier. From the vantage point of time and with the wisdom that comes from both distance and experience, the teacher in front of me used the story to illustrate the value of embracing a practice and the importance of knowing when to let it go.

For the past five years, I have written “A Post a Day in May” as part of my writing practice. This year, I am ceasing that practice.

It has been a terrific experience — putting myself through the grind of a daily deadline to put myself out there with my writing every single day for thirty-one days in a row, regardless of all else going on in my life and the larger world. I have gained a tremendous amount from the practice each May: My skills of observation sharpening in order to translate my daily living into (I hope) meaningful writing to share. My writing practice shifting into high gear to produce the daily posts, becoming a habit more easily executed without any margin for faffing around and putting off putting words together coherently. My writing voice, over the five years, has gained both confidence and focus, which serves my readers through sharper perspectives and commentary, now often about the craft, the production and the teaching of writing as it relates to my evolving life in retirement from full-time career work.

All of that I am taking and continuing. Just not every day in May, not this year. The annual 31-day practice has given me everything I had hoped it would. And it’s time for me to move on. I am not stupid.

I will continue with weekly posts on Tuesdays, and occasionally on other days, too, that I want to mark for some reason. I hope you will continue reading.

-----

In case you missed it last week, you can read my April 26th post on Brevity Blog here

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comSimply put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Photo by Milada Vigerova on Unsplash





Comments

  1. Much of my pleasure in retirement comes from not having to do something when I don’t want to do it.

    Life for me is too short to do the unenjoyable. Mammograms are the exception

    Kudos to you for having a new perspective for May.

    I wish we lived closer. I’d bake a cake, put on the kettle/coffee, and we’d sit in the garden, admire the tulips who are now wide awake, and talk about anything that comes to mind

    We might need two cakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and, yes, two cakes (at least), dear Ann. Lovely tulips!

      Delete
  2. Good for you! If we are attentive, small voices and gut feelings tell us when to change paths and keep evolving. Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Pamela. I love "stay calm, be brave, wait for the signs" -- I may weave this wisdom into a collage!

      Delete
    2. It comes from the great CBC Radio serial, 'The Dead Dog Café', written by Thomas King. It became a mantra of mine, which I always thought I should paint on a stone or something. Collage would be perfect!

      Delete
  3. Do what makes you happy, everyone benefits when someone is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commitment does keep one on track, but it feels good to make the decision when not to be. Will be looking forward to any of your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I will continue reading. Congratulations on the Five Years

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place