The gardener's lament

Beyond capacity


Remember in May:  
Those pin-neat rows
go rogue in summer heat.



Fine beauty in June.
Come July, gay abundance. 
Next up, chaos.
By September, I look no more.



Aficionado of the planning,

I am caught by the glory of the seeds

in January catalogues.

The tilling and toil never mentioned.




NOTE: We were late getting the tomatoes planted, so we are behind on the 
harvesting date, too. It will likely be two or so more weeks until red-ripening happens... #patiencerequired

NOTE: This prose poem was published on 50-Word Stories in early July. You can read it here, unillustrated. 


..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comSimply put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Comments

  1. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

    I sowed not, and neither shall I reap this year. What was once the tomato garden is now black eyed Susans. A perennial that should bring joy if not sustenance. But beauty does feed the soul.

    I love your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful prose poem, made even more expressive with the photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the hill in the front, my ambitions exceeded my skill set.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place