There's a lot more to a list than meets the eye: What story does it tell?

The task was to consider a story in list form. What could be told if the standard story structure was eschewed for a leaner form?

The idea arose from (what research told me is) the American writer Susan Sontag's iconic love of lists. She wrote, "Nothing exists unless I maintain it (by my interest, or my potential interest). This is an ultimate, mostly subliminal anxiety. Hence, I must remain always, both in principle + actively, interested in everything. Taking all of knowledge as my province." And, "I perceive value, I confer value, I create value, I even create – or guarantee – existence. Hence, my compulsion to make ‘lists’. The things (Beethoven’s music, movies, business firms) won’t exist unless I signify my interest in them by at least noting down their names."

Her lists include these two

    "Things I like: ivory, sweaters, architectural drawings, urinating, pizza (the Roman bread), staying in hotels, paper clips, the color blue, leather belts, making lists, Wagon-Lits, paying bills, caves, watching ice-skating, asking questions, taking taxis, Benin art, green apples, office furniture, Jews, eucalyptus trees, pen knives, aphorisms, hands."

    "Things I dislike: Television, baked beans, hirsute men, paperback books, standing, card games, dirty or disorderly apartments, flat pillows, being in the sun, Ezra Pound, freckles, violence in movies, having drops put in my eyes, meatloaf, painted nails, suicide, licking envelopes, ketchup, traversins [“bolsters”], nose drops, Coca-Cola, alcoholics, taking photographs."

It's rather sensible, really. To simply list one's likes or dislikes, one's knowledge or desired knowledge -- so much more straightforward than trying to weave a coherent paragraph-based piece of writing around the subject matter! 

Sensible, maybe, but simple -- not necessarily so. 

Try it for yourself: Make a list of your likes and another of your dislikes. Limit each list to no more than 45 words. See what it all adds up. What do your lists say about you? What do you choose to add into the lists? What do you deliberately choose to leave out? Would your nearest and dearest recognize you from those lists? Do you like the story they tell? 

What becomes apparent is that while the structure is simple, the content that fills it is anything but. And therein lies the challenge of the task. 

Draft your two lists today, then set them aside. Come back to them in a few days. Tackle them again: Switch up the content, the order, the story each list tells. Do this over and over again over a chosen period of time. See how the story evolves and changes (or doesn't) with each iteration. 

I'll share my own two lists in a different post at a later date; for now, I share below the story I wrote in a list form of a particular convention. See what you think. All comments welcome. 

-----------------

CATEGORY/STYLE:
 Wolseley gems
SECTION: Third-act Women 

Available for immediate viewing. A 63.9 year old structure. White exterior belies colourful interior evident on closer inspection. Foundation is British Settler, with strong North American influence. At 5’2”, what this structure lacks in height it compensates for with character: rooted in western Europe but designed in Canada. Conceived in the power of love, raised in freedom, and grounded in common sense. Structure is standard — four limbs (two arms, two legs) in working order; system is fuelled by a heart with a solid track-record; both lungs fully operational and can perform at top volume when required; supported by two solid size 6 feet; powered by a mind and brain that love to work. 

Exterior cladding no longer perfect, accessories are unremarkable — a designer could help. An original facial mark does not detract from intrinsic curb appeal, though a personal tour is recommended to gain full appreciation of this Wolseley Gem. It’s popular with a certain demographic, so book your viewing today: 204-653-3263 (that’s 204-OLD-DAME).


..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comSimply put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Photo of house by Natalie Scott on Unsplash
Composite photo of Amanda by Ian Kellas

Comments

  1. Oh Amanda, I loved this! Setting reminder to self to make lists later today, once I’m completely awake and fed. đŸ˜˜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is marvelous! Unexpected and delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d like to book an additional tour as I was smitten at the first inspection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ad is a delight! And you have inspired me to work on my 2 lists. I doubt that I will be as eclectic in my choices as Susan was, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ingenious and thought provoking. I think the list of what we deliberately chose to leave out might tell it all. We’ll see how it goes…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable Amanda! What a great idea for a prompt. I learn so much from your posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the list prompt. Will try it . Loved your ad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea and how you managed it. Wonderful thinking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place