No Longer a Country for Old Men — a political fantasy in six sentences


The men were so invested in how it had always been that they couldn’t see past their own habits to imagine a new way of managing the system.

But the women could.

They knew the old-boys gerontocracy had lasted several generations too long, so they took out Donald at the Supreme Court.* They let Joe exit with dignity.

Hillary welcomed AOC, who consulted with some of the youngest female political leaders in the world (Sanna and Mette and Kaja and Katrin) and, together with supporters of all ages and colours and genders and visions, they breathed new life into US politics.

If only it were so…


* This tiny story is just a fantasy, but, sometimes impossible things happen in real life; for the moment, this is where that is at. 

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comPut SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.

Comments

  1. While I would like one of them to hang for treason, the other has pulled us into a thriving economy than can well afford to support our allies Ukraine and Israel, decreased our unemployment by creating new jobs and is doing the best job of any president in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No argument from me on Biden's record, Ann. And yet I wonder, who is coming up in the ranks to carry on the legacy for the Democrats? Maybe I just don't know enough about US politics...

      Delete
  2. I love your creative flip from rant to aspiration. It feels aspiring and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anonymous. I knew I wanted to write about the general issue of age and aging in public view, using Biden and Trump as illustrations. But, man, I got convoluted in both my thinking and my words. Aging, ability and ageism are challenging issues to think about and very difficult to write about in a useful and thoughtful way. In our ageist culture, it’s simple to celebrate the 93-year-old pickle ball player, but tricky to discuss if (or when) old is too old regardless of the specific age in question. The topic is always nuanced, often individual, and usually personal.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place