Listening for the piano / Thinking about grief


Grief is not a land in which I have travelled much, though I routinely explore it via others’ experience. I am drawn to do this as a student is drawn to the masters: To observe, to sit with, to wonder if those others’ experiences might help prepare me for my own when I find myself in that place.

Will it?

Sara Paretsky, author of the V.I. Warshawski mystery series, says that the grief over her long-time husband’s death hit her like a grand piano falling out of the sky onto her head. There is no pre-mourning, she says.

Nonetheless, I persist in my studies: Memoirs of loss. Stories of grief. Tales of survival.

I sit with those experiences. The words, the feelings, the anguish wash over me.

And I ask myself: Will the sun rise tomorrow? Will I see it when it does? Should I worry about this? Should I just expect, presume that what has always been will always be?

Absurd.

It will not always be.

The loves of my life are all older, are all old. 95, my mother. Almost 80, my partner. 16, my cat.

Life is a circle that spins on, though we all get off at some point. The game is to live, to live fully until that point of departure.

But, I carry the information that life ends, that my loves will die. I carry it like a precious fear that haunts me quietly, softly, and that taints — if I am not careful — the everyday that unfolds, still, today and tomorrow and tomorrow.

Until our time runs out.

I know our time will run out.

Everywhere I look there is death and destruction, illness and sadness. There are endings all around.

And, yes, I see, too, the sun rise, the flowers bloom, the birds sing. But all this lives beside the sun setting, the plants withering, the birds becoming extinct.

Balance: Living is in the yin and the yang. The living and the dying. The sorrow and the joy.

And so.

I carry the fear. I cannot seem to lose it. And I nurture the hope. The hope that when the end comes, it will come softly, gently, timely.

I hope my studies will help me.

And yet.

I hear a noise.

It is a piano falling from the sky.

As I stand.

Waiting for it to land.


..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comPut SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Photo by Adrian Swancar on Unsplash

Comments

  1. It’s my privilege to be with you from afar this past couple of weeks, to provide what comfort I could, a listening ear and a virtual shoulder.
    When Dr. Kepler-Ross wrote about those five stages of grieving, she said that they didn’t necessarily come in order. I see you considering acceptance these days. Know the others will crop up, pesky though they might be. But I have never seen anyone with such a capability to cope gracefully.
    Much love from the Lower 48 xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very authentic account of the peskiness that is grief. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, hope and worry about future losses coexist. It seems to be one of central experiences of aging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was right with you til the sound of the piano! Powerful piece Amanda❤️
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brava amanda. A certain reversal of fortune found me, wrenched my plans for myself out of symmetry. It was medical, with a kite’s tail of consequence.

    It’s Difficult dying in a death phobic, death intolerant time and place. I know I’m dying, whereas most of us think of our death as rumoured, suspected and a feared thing. A mere prospect, something in the future, never in present tense.
    Found that Death is a sustainable practice. I’m dying Hope-free and with lucidity. Trying to find the courage to stop trying not to die. 

    This is the really heavy labour of the body’s wisdom to loosen the ties that bind. It’s a labour of love. A new way of loving our life by obeying its end. As dying people find their way out, the job of the living is to get out their way, as hard as it is. Dying is enormously hard. It is labour and demanding.

    Grief together is our new way of going on for my partner and I. It is an uncommon understanding of love. A love that glimpses loves end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon: Thank you for your comment. How profound to read your words in response to mine. I am going to ponder "death as a sustainable practice" and "trying to find the courage to stop trying not to die" and dying as "a labour of love...loving our life by obeying its end". I wish you ease on your continuing journey. And continued love as you move towards the end...I hold you in my heart.

      Delete
  6. The only answer to the death of our loved ones is to keep them alive in our hearts. We must go on living, which means accepting all we encounter along the way. The price of love is grief, yet it would be madness to say no to love. Sometimes it seems so incredible that we live this way - never knowing when those pianos will come crashing. You are in my heart, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, I find as I age through my living life and loss, my views take on a deeper meaning. Thank you for such a forward piece of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "There are endings all around." Thanks for your words, Amanda.
    When my piano comes, I hope I can hear a few notes from something like the piano part of Beethoven's Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a very beautiful essay, Amanda, or perhaps it's a poem. I am on the older end of the spectrum myself. And I think about these things often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautifully written Amanda, so much feeling in that prose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda: I have experienced the falling piano, but I have also experienced pre-mourning. And while I don't know what's happening for you these days, it sounds like maybe pre-mourning is exactly what you're doing. I also think that grief never goes away. We go on living, but it changes us. We are never the same again, but perhaps we are more--we feel more, we know more, our well is deeper. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry; I always forget to change the name setting from Anonymous. That was me, talking about there being both pianos and pre-mourning, and about grief never ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Amanda. Beautifully written. As we approach 80, my husband and I value each day more consciously, recognizing the ephemeral nature of our lives. We have experienced of the deaths of parents and very close friends. That grief never leaves. I find it turns into a kind of joy at having known and loved them all. Writing about them is a celebration I indulge in. I too appreciate Sharon's words - to die hope-free and lucid. What a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother