When one is enough, you have probably done some Swedish death cleaning

This is a staged photo: We own more mugs than shown here!

Back in August 1986, when my then partner and I packed up our life in Edmonton, Alberta and drove ourselves and the few possessions we could fit into our Toyota Tercel across the country to Halifax, Nova Scotia, it was a big adventure. Once arrived, we slept on the floor — literally, not even a futon mattress until several weeks into our new life; we ate off a Pepsi crate; and we made do without a desk. Of course, over time, we accumulated possessions and ended up moving first to Fredericton, New Brunswick, and then to Winnipeg, Manitoba with a moving-truck full of stuff.

Earlier this month, when I was packing up my late mother’s suite as the first act of dealing with her estate, I realized I was reversing the process — sorting through, packing up, giving away and, finally, making do* with just a glass, a mug, a plate and one small frying pan in which to scramble eggs: I no longer had a spatula, so flipping an egg for an ‘over easy’ breakfast was beyond my capacity. When my friend Jennie brought over a bottle of wine for us to enjoy, she used the one remaining glass, while I took the last-standing mug. And, of course, it worked. No one needs a wine glass to enjoy a cool white or the conversation that comes with the friend who brings the wine. My wine out of the mug tasted just fine.

Which is why, now that I am back in my own home, I am ruminating on the 36 glasses, 27 mugs, and 41 plates of various sizes in the kitchen cabinets. Only two of us live here!

I have read The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margareta Magnussen. I understand the theory — and benefits — of downsizing and decluttering well before necessity requires it. However, I seem to find it challenging when there is neither deadline nor constraint looming on the horizon. In our house, Val and I have the space, so we have the stuff.

But I rather enjoyed having only a few items to manage in Mum’s kitchen in my final days there. It was freeing to use the lone mug, rinse it out, and have it ready for next time on the drainboard. No fabricated need for a tea mug, then a coffee mug, then a water glass, then a wine glass, etc. One receptacle for multiple purposes. I managed.

And I suppose that’s the line: on the one side, managing around the necessity of reducing and on the other appreciating the aesthetic and convenience of multiple choices. I need only one mug, but I enjoy using different mugs at different times of the day for different hot beverages. Hence the 27 in our cabinet!

I could never wrap my head around Marie Kondo’s decluttering philosophy of keeping only those things that spark joy for us. I never even tried her approach. Margareta Magnussen’s approach to keep only those things we deem essential or significant speaks better to me. She suggests beginning with the biggest items in the home and working your way down to the smaller stuff because, often, it’s the smallest items that pack the biggest emotional or sentimental punch. Magnussen suggests taking enough time to make the right decisions: Once gone, those precious items cannot be reclaimed.

Which is why I brought with me from Mum’s the toast rack my dad made in middle school and the cheese slicer my parents bought in Norway many decades ago. The bonus for me with both these items is that they have not only emotional but also practical value.

The toast rack  in use
Happily, the toast rack is the only one I own. However, our kitchen now holds two cheese slicers — Val has one from her early life that holds great value for her. And this is how possessions creep up on us. With even the best intentions in the world, unless we discipline ourselves to that lone mug and single plate (and no cheese slicer, as one sharp knife will do multiple jobs including slice a block of cheese), we inevitably end up with precious items we (believe) we cannot live without.

But I’m serving notice here on that ping pong table in the basement: Your storage time is up and I am committed to sending you on your way.

* I did have a bed to sleep in, as that was not being moved out until after I left. Phew.

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comPut SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.

Comments

  1. Alex here, I remember a time when I had one houseplant, a.spider plant named Beatrice. Now a jungle exists!
    I am in a decluttering fb page.and decluttered our household collection of pens, very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, we are doing the same thin, packing up and donating box after box. Our cleaner takes it all for her church rummage sale in August. But we encouraged her to have a look first and take anything she needed or wanted. She says it’s like Christmas! I love that she will now be dusting in her home the same detritus she’s been dusting in ours for years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I have decluttered many times over and discovered years ago that I keep what I love and it must have a purpose of some form of use. Other than that, it has gone to useful hands in many other places. You have some great-looking coffee mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not the ping pong table! you will surely miss that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the only one in our household who drinks beer, yet I have over 50 beer mugs, tankards, pints, dimple mugs, flutes and pilsner glasses. I have over 15 genuine stoneware tankards. Why? I dunno, but I say it's because I'm a collector and that seems to make it okay. But then I go and visit my wife's family cottage in the Whiteshell, built by her German grandfather in the 1950's. It's all very simple and functional with no bling or adornment. His favourite beer mug is still there, along with 2 or 3 other beer drinking vessels.

    So I can appreciate your collection of glasses and mugs, but I can also admire your mother's simplicity. I guess it's a generational thing. We are a consumerist society who has to collect and acquire so much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The items I got from your mother I enjoy immensely, I think of her when I turn the kettle on or make toast. I also love all my "stuff", it gives me great pleasure to look at it, to use it and to share with friends. I admire people who can live sparsely, but I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catriona here - I loved this piece. It speaks to me as well. We are in a time of decluttering and donating to charity or my buy nothing group. Our bedroom is being redone and we are in couches for the interim. While we wait for phase 2, the flooring, we are each looking at how much we want to move back in when we re-possess our bedroom. We are trying to the stick to - bought a new item - donate an old one idea. I have also put all my clothes hangers backwards and only turned them forwards after wearing and washing an item. The follow-through should be - the item on all the hangers not turned around at the end of the season should be donated...I'm a little less diligent about that. Yikes! I need help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Listening for the piano / Thinking about grief

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother