Memories of Mexico while watching the snow here (not yet) melt

The colourful birds were wonderful. 

Once upon a time late in the last century, two women traveled to Mexico. They booked a beachfront apartment, rented a VW Bug, and set off for adventure. In those pre-internet days with rudimentary email communication, it was tricky, but doable, the assumption being that two and two would, indeed, make four. All would work out.

And it did. We enjoyed a wonderful late-winter holiday on the Mayan Riviera. The weather was good. The apartment perfect. The car exactly as expected. Even the language barrier didn’t pose a significant problem, thanks to a small phrase book and my willingness to just give it a go.

Our apartment was at the very top

Back then, 24 years ago, ‘giving it a go’ got us far: From the Cancun airport, along a small track to the apartment and then off to find a place for dinner — all in the dark. It was exciting not daunting. We had adventures every day: in the supermarket buying food, at local cafes figuring our way around a menu, and setting off to visit sites. We were on the Mayan Riviera, so we explored ancient ruins, climbing up for the view; and we also stepped down into the ground to find the wonders of a subterranean swimming hole, a cenote — amazing. We ventured south down the coast to Tulum, where the beach was endless and the waves a natural playground.

It was all good. All fun. No issues anywhere along the way.

As spring very slowly springs here on the prairies, I remember that holiday in February 1999 with happiness. And I channel it as I wait for winter to exit, because, as my friend Edna commented after my cheery post on February 28th, “I never trust the month of March.” It’s still cold here, but my wander down this Mexican memory lane has warmed my mind with remembrances of sun and sand and beach. And I shall linger in those thoughts, as spring springs ever so slowly here in Winnipeg.




Matching Tilley hats

Oh, those beaches!  

Yes, trust me, the young guy said: Hold the rope and descend...

...this is what you'll find: a cenote  an amazing underground swimming hole;
the very definition of a holiday adventure. 


..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comSimply put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the memories Amanda, I did the Cancun, Tulum, and ChichĂ©n ItzĂ¡ trip too, I think it was February about 7 years ago. I was by myself but if I'd had a partner I might not have had the ayahuasca ceremony and that was life-changing! I did a painting inspired by the ChichĂ©n ItzĂ¡ cenote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brings back memories of our trip to Porta Vallarta. Loved it.

      Delete
  2. Love your adventure reflections! We come here annually now. Every year offers something new. A lot has changed since you were here and a lot is the same. Still an amazing country

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m reading this from Riviera Nayarit, Mexico where I have been for a week with two of my brothers
    It’s not an adventure, just two weeks of sun and very comfortable weather,
    Being my first trip out of Canada since before Covid, I enjoy it very much.
    Your pictures and description of your adventure are fabulous
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle: How lovely to know you are enjoying a real vacation after all that time of restrictions during Covid. I'm so happy for you!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for painting lovely, colourful, pictures in my mind, and for the photos to back them up. What a beautiful country, and carefree adventure! I have similar stories of some wonderful places - yet have never once taken a tropical holiday in the winter. I do hope to rectify this in coming years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great adventure you had. Isn't it great to relive them as you did and to share them with us? Thanks so much for a little relief from the non-spring in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place