Story, life-writing, memoir: Call it what you will, just get started on yours!

Amanda, age 1. Anne. Katy, my older sister.

We each have a story to tell and, says Anne Lamott of Bird by Bird writing advice fame, we are not responsible for hurt feelings of those who disagree with how we tell it. Nonetheless, I asked my mother recently to read a piece about my father that I plan to submit to an online magazine for a themed issue on fathers.

I was relieved when she gave me her blessing on the content and was appreciative of her feedback on the style in which I had written, though I disagreed with her comments on that point. It was a fine moment of respectful difference we shared as writers not as mother and daughter, and I will continue to work on the piece for submission next month.

As I am, so is my mother a writer. My mother is a writer and I have become one, too. Either sentence is true, though each tells the story from a slightly different perspective. The result is the same: We are both writers. Would I be a writer if she were not? Would she be writing the fourth instalment of her memoirs if I were not an enthusiastic writer these days, happy, so happy, to be editing her story? Who knows. But it’s interesting to contemplate who we might be if our parents were not who they had been and who, over the course of their life, they had become, which is why I am so delighted that Mum is writing this fourth instalment.

She opens with her life in post-WWII England, before meeting the man she would marry. So, it’s all about Mum as Anne Penfold, a person without the constraints of marriage and motherhood, and with the responsibility of earning her own living. She goes on to describe how she and Dad met and then their early life together, before leaving England for Canada in 1953. It is all fascinating to me, as Mum’s words round out the fullness of her story which I know first-hand, of course, only from the vantage point of daughter. For this new knowledge and appreciation, Mum’s memoir is invaluable to her three children, but also to anyone who knows her now but didn’t know her then.

To tell our story is to claim it, to own it, and, crucially, I believe, to respect it by making sense of it. Maybe we write it for our eyes only, or maybe we write it to share with family, or maybe to share it more widely if we tell it by laying our individual experiences against a larger context that a wider circle of readers might find interesting. Regardless, putting words on the page is a powerful way to bring new meaning for ourselves to the life we are living and to encourage a refined understanding for those around us of how we came to be who we are today.

Getting started on the telling is as simple as deciding to do so, to stop worrying that it may not be important or interesting enough to bother with, and to embrace the experience of wandering down memory lane to see what the trip brings up. You may be surprised at what you uncover about yourself, and I guarantee that your readers will be thrilled you have made the effort. I’ve said it before on this blog and I’ll say it again: We don’t have endless time. Seize the moment and the day — and the pencil. Tell your story. Begin today.

NOTE: You need not write four instalments as my mother has done. You can start with just 100-word micro memoirs on a topic. Or capture moments in a mere 50-word piece. Memory comes in simple fragments, in bits and bobs that describe a period in one’s life, as full-length books, and everything in between. Your story is yours to tell and it is worth telling no matter how you form it.

NEWS: I had another 50-word fictional story published the other day. You can read it here.

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comSimply put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this, Amanda. Your thoughts are timely, arriving (almost to the day) on the 50th anniversary of my family’s move to Canada. Now you’ve got me thinking about exploring the early years in writing. Maybe something I would do just for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to think that I have inspired you to start writing about those early years, friend!

      Delete
  2. Amanda, last time you wrote about biography and I commented, you asked if I could share a bit.
    Here are the title and the introduction of my biography. I write in French and I know you read it.
    Danielle

    PRIVILÉGIÉE


    Dès que j’ai pensĂ© biographie, le mot PRIVILÉGIÉE s’est imposĂ© comme titre.

    Je sais, vous vous dites :
    Oh non, encore une histoire de femme riche et cĂ©lèbre, Ă  qui tout a rĂ©ussi…

    DĂ©trompez-vous.

    Je vous raconte mon histoire, celle d’une femme nĂ©e au QuĂ©bec dans les annĂ©es cinquante, d’une femme nĂ©e de parents qui s’aimaient et qui l’aimaient.

    Mais qui sont-ils ces parents ?








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle: Thank you for sharing the opening to your own biography. I am thoroughly intrigued at the title "Privileged" or maybe "A privileged woman" and how you open by telling your reader that your story is not as the title might suggest. So interesting!

      Delete
  3. Writing as it runs in families is an interesting thing. I too have a mother/daughter situation, only in reverse of your experience. As the mother, I am my daughter's editor! And what fun that is. It makes me so proud of her.

    My own mother did not write, but she passed down to both of us a passion for reading and an obsession with collecting books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so encouraging Amanda. I just might start writing "my story" one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats again Amanda on the 50 word micro. Two sentences. Wonderful! And how special to have writing in common with your mum. Acknowledging styles with respectful distance is such a gift. Thank ou!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place