A Mother's Day letter to my late mother Anne

Circa 1959: Anne with Tozz (the cat) and Katy (my older sister at about 18 months)

My previous three posts relating to my mother (who died on April 26th) can be read herehere and here.

Dear Mum:

I miss you and I am also glad you are no longer suffering the pain you experienced in the last few months of living.

So many times every day since you have died I have wanted to tell you something — something you would have laughed at, commented on, wanted to know more about. Now, I think those thoughts and make up the conversation we would have had. Whether you were near me or far from me, you were always right there with me wanting to know about my latest workshop or newest piece of writing or Holly the cat’s current antics. You were interested in my life, a good listener, a constant support.

I have been grateful for the words of condolence and comfort sent and said by family and friends, some of whom knew you first hand, some only through my words and stories of you, or through your own writings shared on my blog or in your memoirs. To a one, these friends understood your essence of caring and compassion, of humour and intelligence, of engagement and connection through words and deeds. I like that your qualities are celebrated — reflected via our relationship with each other and yours with the larger world. You had a wide embrace in which many people were happy to be held.

Your death was a good one: peaceful, gentle, without fear. Your absence fills my very being.

I carry in my heart all that I learned from you about living and loving.
Your doting daughter,
Amanda

PS: Have you seen Dad and the cats (Tigger, Max and Boris) yet? Give them all a kiss from me when you do. 


June 2006: Amanda and Anne celebrating my MA

July 2018: Val (my partner) and Anne enjoying supper at the cottage

                .....................................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comPut SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on a job well done Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You expressed her perfectly, "You had a wide embrace in which many people were happy to be held." Wow, dear Amanda, so well said, I was one of those and I'm feeling quite un-tethered. We are now those who hold others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfectly beautiful tribute, Amanda. I really have no other words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I'm always so moved by your posts and frankly, a tiny bit envious of you and your splendid mother. I hope your memories and letters allow you to keep holding her close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never beneath or beyond. Always in your heart. Thank you for this lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Listening for the piano / Thinking about grief

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother