Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother

April 2024: Anne and Amanda -- mother & daughter with but one nose between us (as it were)

Formal notice

Anne Le Rougetel died peacefully at home on Friday, April 26, 2024, with her daughters at her side. Born in 1928, Anne was a remarkable woman; a talented writer; an eclectic reader; well versed in world affairs; loving beyond measure to her children; kind and generous to friends; compassionate to those in need. She enjoyed reading a good book and engaging in interesting conversation. Due to failed vision and failing hearing, both these pursuits disappeared from her life in the final year or so. Please remember Anne by taking a friend to coffee and enjoying a delicious pastry. Anne was predeceased by her husband Colin. She is survived by her three children and their families: Katy (Guy). Amanda (Val). Charles (Lisa, Max and Sam). Special mention must be made of Barbara Chan, who was a generous friend and caring companion to Anne, and of Edna Abel, who was a loving friend and interesting dinner companion at Rosedale. 

Informal words

I loved my mother, who was a guide for me in life. She was, for me, a model of how to live meaningfully and fully with love centred and relationships celebrated. 

May her spirit soar and her soul be at peace. 

I have celebrated my splendid mother over the years on this blog. You can read my Mother's Day pieces here, and here, and here, and here

I inherited my writing skills from Mum, who was, herself, an accomplished writer and teacher of writing in her day. She has left us four volumes of her memoirs, some of which have been excerpted on this blog here, and here, and here, and here

I have written less about my father, Colin, but my parents were a good match -- the one for the other and as a partnership. For them, it was love at first sight in a London university cafeteria -- a meeting that led to more than 60 years of navigating a good life together. I wrote about my also-splendid father here

I value having these words to share at this time. Telling our stories and writing them down so they can be shared is important. Don't ever underestimate the value of your own stories, ordinary as they may seem to you. Honour my splendid mother by putting your stories on the page. Your friends and family will be grateful. 


Last week's post -- the writing of it, the sharing of it, the response I continue to receive to it -- has helped me move into grieving and, importantly, talking about the joy of my Mother and the sorrow at her no longer being alive in this world. I am grateful for words at this time. 

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comPut SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the MĂ©tis Nation.


Comments

  1. Loving thoughts and memories of you and Anne. Thank you for sharing your beautiful words. I hope peace lingers through the week and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I'm so sorry !
    Over the years, on this blog, I loved hearing about your mother, your father and your relationship to them. I know how much she will be missed.
    I am wholeheartedly with you !
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to Anne with an E. I love the Jewish words of condolence:
    May her name be a blessing
    And thank you for the privilege of being with you during this difficult time, even if only virtually. Your strength is your own blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely thoughts of a splendid woman, indeed. Thank you for sharing who she was, Amanda. I wish you blessings in your memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tribute to a loving mother. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. My deepest condolences, Amanda. Thank you for sharing so many lovely stories of your mum. May she rest in peace.
    -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Amanda. My heart is with you in love and appreciation for my own mother who died twenty years ago this month. The blessings of wonderful parents cannot be overstated. They are with us forever. I've written about my mother also and am grateful we had several years as adults to appreciate each other as people and friends not just mother and daughter. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully said, as always, Amanda. I'm grateful that she was a big part of my life too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew to know your mother through this blog. I enjoyed her humour, her views on life and most of all her spunk of which she passed on to you. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts are with you and your family for the loss of your awesome Mom. I enjoyed getting to know Anne through her participation in our Spark classes, and could appreciate the strong bond between you. Our group picture takes on even more meaning now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With parents like yours, it's no wonder you also turned out to be splendid, Amanda. I wish I had met your mum, but I'm so glad you helped your readers to know about her. And it is very generous of you to remember, during this inward time of grieving, to remind us that we should all write down our stories. Deepest condolences to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amanda, I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman and I know how hard it is to lose your mother. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amanda, such a loving tribute and remembrance of your mother. So sorry the time had to come. She was a gem and gave others a gem as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Looking elsewhere for success: It’s not always found in first place