When memories can be marked, they should be: The impact of remembrance



Last week on Thursday, June 6, I woke up spontaneously at 3:15am my time and I got up and stayed up when I realized that I could watch the events marking the 80th anniversary of D-Day as they were happening on the coast of Normandy and being streamed live by CBC. This is not the first time I have gotten up early to watch something happening in a European time zone in real time — the funeral of Queen Elizabeth and the coronation of King Charles being the two most recent. I like seeing the event unfold in real time (and then seeing what is captured by the media as 'news'). 

I found the coverage of Operation Overlord unexpectedly moving, especially the first-hand stories told by the handful of Canadian veterans attending the events. Old men now, their emotions remain vivid of that day and the weeks and months that followed; their commitment to attend the commemoration, to be present and to remember the experience and their comrades who died moved me deeply. Tears fell into my tea as I watched and listened. What a powerful way to learn about history. To remember.

Of course, I am remembering a lot these days. Mum died just over six weeks ago and I remember her all day every day. I don’t need any props or prompts, but I dearly love having a few things ready to hand that remind me of her and of our relationship.

The biggest items are two small tables — one she used as her coffee table, one she used as the side table by her recliner. In my childhood, I had that coffee table in my bedroom; it was the perfect height for a small girl intent on writing and drawing. The side table was Mum’s extravagant purchase when she moved from the family house into the seniors residence. I was visiting her in those early months in her new home and we went together to pick it up. I was impressed — not only with the Amish craftsmanship of the piece, but with Mum’s willingness to buy herself something so beautiful as a marker of her new life in her new space. I remember her saying it had not been easy to make the decision to spend the money, but she was determined — and delighted.

At some point, I expressed my interest in inheriting the table when the time came, and forever after Mum called it “Amanda’s table”. Today, it stands beside the two-seater sofa in our sunroom, so I see it every day, use it every day, and every day am reminded that my mother used it, touched it, and, also, that she loved me.

The power of memories can be strong. The good ones are easy to nurture, happy to remember. Bad ones, difficult ones, are a different matter, of course. But when we can and when we want to remember, I am learning more and more how important and valuable it is to do precisely that: To remember those who have gone before.

..............................................................................................................

To receive my weekly blogpost in your inbox, use the SUBSCRIBE feature (above, in the left-hand column), or email fiveyearsawriter at gmail dot comPut SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. 

Land acknowledgement: I respectfully recognize that I live on the original lands of Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation.

Comments

  1. I’m sitting here looking at the beautiful secretary that was my grandfather’s desk in his barber shop for as long as I can remember. My grandmother bout it at a farm sale for two bucks It’s way older than I am, and I’m older than dirt!

    We are doing a general sorting out of “stuff.” But there are some things that will never go out on the curb. Memories are too valuable to discard. Much love my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this brought a tear to my eye as well, Amanda. You made me think about both my parents - the cherished things they passed on to me and to my siblings, and mostly, the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for continuing the mother thread as I am inspired to put down a few words myself. I am born on Christmas Day. My mother always reminded me, with a smile, that it was the only year she missed her turkey dinner. She passed in February of 2022. At Christmas of 2021, she was ill and failing and told me how sad she was that could not even buy me a birthday card. I knew what to do and I knew it would be the last. I told her I would buy the card and she could tell me what she wanted to say, that I would write it and if she had the strength to sign it it would be the best birthday present of my life. Her words, in my penmanship "I was the most precious Christmas gift she ever received". She managed a weak yet legible signature. Your readers can write the ending. That card, one I did not even purchase because I have a stack of dollar store ones at hand is my most treasured possession. Take the car, take the house, take it all, just leave me my card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember her being thrilled with that table. So glad you have it near. For me the item is a small wooden scotty dog beautifully carved out of a fairly soft wood. I found it on a trip to Portobello Road market with my mother. She bought it for me for 10 pence. I love it beyond words and it is always in my bedside table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me cry but I love the photo of your mom in the chair with the table beside it and I love where you have it in your home. It was strictly utilitarian for her but you've made it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful.

Popular posts from this blog

Life story: I am from...where? who? what?

Listening for the piano / Thinking about grief

Anne Le Rougetel: my splendid mother